Sunday, January 22, 2012

Green Living

I am not that creative. Sometimes I find myself in the middle of ENVY when I see or hear of something someone else is doing or creating. I've never thought of myself as a "writer/ blogger".  My husband is way more capable of thinking "outside the box" than I am. I really could go ON AND ON about this subject, but instead I will tell you one thing that I AM good at...

Cleaning. 

It is probably my no-thing-left-unnoticed personality that helps me out here. It's taken me a while to embrace this character trait of mine, because some can find it annoying and irritating. God bless my hubby who has lived with me for 5+ years now, and just "gone with it". He is amazing. :) But really, I find it a blessing to have this passion. Becoming a mother has really helped me LET GO of some things in life, because really, everything can be cleaned up!! Who cares what is looks like IN THE MOMENT. We have to enjoy things as they come our way. Although, I think Eliza is learning something, because she is always "cleaning" something. :) Maybe its just because she sees me doing it, or she really IS like me! 

Anyway, lately I've been getting asked my recipe for my homemade laundry soap... so here it is!! 

1 4lb box Baking Soda
1 3-4lb box Washing Soda (the size is a little over 3lbs now I think)
3 bars GRATED Castile Soap (I use Kirks Castile Soap b/c we sell it at Hy-Vee)
1-2 small containers of OXI CLEAN (or off brand), depending on how dirty your clothes are usually

MIX all these ingredients in a trash bag and ROLL it ROLL it ROLL it until you are SURE that it is all mixed. Use 1 TBS for smallish-normal loads and 2 TBS for large loads. I use the scoop from my Oxi Clean container, b/c it's 2 TBS. I normally add some more Oxi Clean to my Whites and Towels for an extra boost. And YES it's HE compatible. 

Also, during the summer time, I just use vinegar as my softener, and usually take out my hubby's basketball shorts, and fleece, since they aren't 100% cotton, they produce static. In the winter I usually use Seventh Generation laundry softener to help with the static situation, and may still take out the things that aren't 100% cotton. 

I've been using this soap for a couple months now, and it works just fine!! This is just one of the things that I do in my home to be GREEN. I use little to ZERO chemicals all throughout my home, and yes, I take pride in that. :) Hope you find this helpful!

Happy Sunday! 

3 comments:

Rae Nolt said...

AWESOME! Ok...next post needs to be about what cleaning products you use on your windows! :)

Ac said...

Very helpful meg!!

Truly His said...

Thanks for this, Meg! I really want to try it! Hey, I tagged you in on something at my blog...come check it!:)